Blog #6

 My service learning classroom is in a very very small town. There is not very much diversity in the classroom I have been helping and observing in. There are a few little things that I can tell about the students and I have seen my cooperating teacher help them with many of the students specific needs that need to be met. 

Some of the students are very behind in their reading. They are at very low reading levels for their age. My cooperating teacher had me pull students aside one by one and have them read their certain list (depending on their reading level) of 100 words that they have to read in 60 seconds. She had me do this so the kids could keep working on their reading skills. It was a fun activity for the kids to do because they tried so hard to read all the words with no mistakes in 60 seconds. If they completed that then they got to move on to the next level. My teacher said the kids did not get graded on this, this was just to help them with their reading skills, and some kids needed that very much. I thought it was very cool that she wants to helps the students by doing that. 

Another thing I noticed my teacher do is that when she was teaching a lesson she would get up and teach it to the whole class (like usual), and then she would have the students do work on their own. she would have the students try it but if some of the students didn't understand then she would go to them and individually help them understand the concepts that they were learning and she tried to explain it in a different way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #4

Blog #3 - Importance of Classroom Aspects